Winter Appeal 2022-2023
December 9, 2022
This year’s Winter Appeal finds Class Action at a critical juncture in its history. With a foundation of over 18 years of work to end classism and build relationships across class, and in the wake of the impacts of the pandemic and the nationwide awakening around racial justice, Class Action has been making an important contribution to equity and inclusion.
In 2022, we have built a more connected set of activities and collaborated in deeper ways with allies towards greater impact. Shaped by the results of our 2021 outreach and planning process, this past year Class Action:
- Hosted five convenings of racial justice and anti-classism practitioners and trainers focused on what it takes to work at the intersection of race and class. A document sharing lessons learned from these gatherings will be available soon.
- Expanded its work with the First Gen Summit to offer information and support to the Student Planning Committee, which is the primary engine for the Summit. This year, we substantially increased the staff time dedicated to the FGS in order to help make the Tenth Anniversary Summit a success.
- Brought two First Gen students and recent alum onto a pilot team of CA’s First Gen Leadership Development Initiative (FGLDI) and supported them in co-leading seven Class Action workshops in nonprofit and educational settings.
- Developed a “toolkit” for community organizers detailing best practices and standards for good wages/working conditions in their workplaces. Class Action’s Staffing the Mission program hired two new consultants to help expand work in the philanthropic sector and among those most impacted by unsustainable working conditions in nonprofit organizations.
- Offered a dozen workshops in educational, nonprofit, and social justice settings to help build understanding of class identity, increase awareness of class bias, and build relationships across class in the work to end classism.
- Created an Interim Board to help shepherd Class Action to its best future.
As we enter Class Action’s nineteenth year of work, like you, we face what often seem like overwhelming impacts of settler colonialism, white supremacy, capitalism, climate devastation, a breakdown of democracy, disinformation, and a complete disdain for public health. In the midst of this turmoil, Class Action is committed to expanding our efforts to build a world that meets everyone’s basic needs; treats people from every background, class status, and rank with dignity and respect; supports the development of all people to their full potential; and reduces vast differences in income, wealth, and access to resources.
Class Action’s work is part of a critical mosaic of actions to achieve this kind of world. This year’s Winter Appeal will determine the options that are open to us to move Class Action to its best and most impactful future. Please consider making a donation and join us in making a better world possible.
With gratitude and best wishes,